Women's love of shoes has been well documented for decades and popularised by television shows such as 'Sex In the City' in the late 1990s.
A desired pair of shoes can make your heart beat faster, transform an outfit, express your personality, give confidence and change how you feel about your day. Not many beautiful things are also so useful and shoe size doesn't often alter with weight or age.
So why when a woman on average owns more than 20 pairs, will she probably only wear half of them and only five pairs regularly?
The truth is that while high heels are perceived to flatter by elongating the leg, compressing toes into pointed shoes and changing the angle of the foot by wearing heels higher than two inches for long periods of time, can cause painful foot and back problems.
We've all been there, starting the evening feeling high in the glamour stakes, but ending up hobbling home with sore swollen toes! Well, suffer no more. With quality footwear manufacturers now creating beautifully designed shoes that won't harm your feet, there is no need to compromise on style for comfort and foot health. A dress boot and bejewelled, coloured or patent pumps can make as stunning a partner to your winter evening outfits as a stiletto heel. Buy shoes you will wear again and again and give pleasure for years.
Keep your festive feet in top form this Christmas with the following tips:
1. Buy new shoes in the afternoon when feet are a little larger, as they tend to swell during the day. Feet should be properly measured and always buy the correct size.
2. Opt for round toed or mid heeled party shoes this season, especially when dancing the night away! Ideally, don't wear them every day.
3. When not in use, keep shoes in a dry environment and allow them to air regularly.
4. Alternate your shoes every couple of days.
5. Don't compromise style for comfort.
Happy Christmas Everyone!